
PRESENTED BY ‘IMMORTAL: THE LEGEND OF RUGBY LEAGUE’S FIRST CHAMPION’
Penrith’s superstar halfback Nathan Cleary has given the best clue yet as to why boom youngster Blaize Talagi has been left out of the Panthers 17 yet again.
Despite the four-time champions spluttering to a 1-3 start to the season with three straight losses – coach Ivan Cleary has used Talagi just once when he came off the bench early in Penrith’s loss to the Melbourne Storm at AAMI Park when playmaker Nathan left the field with a concussion.

The 20-year-old utility burst onto the scene last year at the Eels and featured in 19 games – scoring 11 tries.
With Jarome Luai leaving for the Wests Tigers, Penrith set their attentions on what appeared to be a straight replacement in Talagi.

Talagi also travelled with the premiers to Las Vegas for the opening round blockbuster against the Cronulla Sharks but Jack Cole was preferred at five-eighth with Brad Schneider nabbing 18th man.
Intriguingly, despite being able to cover every position in the backline and the Panthers desperately down on troops, Talagi still couldn’t jag a spot in the side.
Replacement fullback Daine Laurie retains his spot at the back despite a nightmare showing last week against South Sydney with Tom Jenkins and Casey McLean selected in the centres and wing respectively.
It’s a fair decline considering Parramatta officials and new coach Jason Ryles made it very clear to Talagi and his family that he was going to be the long-term replacement for outgoing Eels fullback Clint Gutherson.
Now Penrith’s halfback and the architect of their four-straight crowns has hinted that Talagi is yet to find his feet within Penrith’s “systems” and could take years for Talagi to reach his potential.
“[He] is working really hard at the moment to fit into our systems but he’s going really well and I think he’s going to be a great player for a long time.”
Cleary’s comments came on the back of a comparison to Luai who played several positions earlier in his career.
“Romey played a few games on the wing [and] he played centre in the under-20s and all that,” Cleary said.
“He bides his time and now you look at him and he’s the premier five-eighth in the game. Sometimes with young halves, it just takes a little bit longer and you get to your mid-to-late-20s and you really start hitting your straps.”
The Panthers have already conceded a whopping 118 points to start the season and face a desperate North Queensland Cowboys outfit coming off an upset win over the Raiders.
2025 Beetson Raudonikis Medal – Round Four
LISTEN: Is Zac Lomax more likely to play Saturday’s game in his head before Clint Gutherson?
The Kangaroos and Blues pivot says the Panthers aren’t worried yet despite the head-scratching opening of the year.
“People think it’s been perfect – it really hasn’t,” Cleary added.
“It’s been lots of ups and downs.
“We’ve had performances like we’ve had in the last few weeks but we’ve sort of scraped away and won them in the past.
Maybe that’s been a little bit different but I don’t think it’s panic stations.”
The Panthers host the Cowboys at CommBank Stadium on Friday night at 6pm in Isaah Yeo’s 250th game.