Looking back at past winners of the Arthur Beetson Medal
September 3, 2018
BY STAFF WRITERS
Tonight we will announce the winner of the 2018 Arthur Beetson Medal along with several other awards.
Our annual end-of-year award also has a funny knack of predicting the Dally M winner which is announced a few weeks later. Since our award began in 2012, only once has our winner not also gone on to win the Dally M.
2017: Cameron Smith
2016: Johnathan Thurston, Jason Taumalolo, Cooper Cronk
2015: Johnathan Thurston
2014: Johnathan Thurston, Jarryd Hayne
2013: Greg Inglis
2012: Ben Barba
Here are some more quick facts:
- Johnathan Thurston won three consecutive Arthur Beetson Medals.
- The Arthur Beetson Medal has been previously known as the Ultimate Sports Memorabilia Medal, Handyman Magazine Medal and the Steele Sports Medal.
- Before being replaced by Cooper Cronk at the Roosters – half Mitchell Pearce won both Halfback of the Year and our Roosters Player of the Year in 2017.
- The first ‘Utility MVP’ award was given out in 2017 to Parramatta’s Clint Gutherson.
- Shaun Johnson led the 2016 count with two rounds to play but was overrun by Jason Taumalolo, Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk.
- Cameron Smith’s 2017 win was the largest margin since the award began in 2012. Smith won by 7 votes from Mitchell Pearce.
- Jason Taumalolo has won 7 individual awards including an Arthur Beetson Medal, positional awards in the Team of the Year and the Cowboys Player of the Year.